Lorraine B

My photo
Hello and welcome to a place of Spiritual Refuge. A place where you can come and meditate on the word of God as it encourages and empowers you to live on top of the world everyday. I've always had a passion for writing ever since I was a child. Now I'm an adult I've decided to allow God to use one of the many gifts he's given me to encourage and create a place of spiritual refuge for the discouraged, broken hearten and those who at times feel they have no hope. I thank God for all of the gifts that he has given me and my greatest intent is for me to give them back to him by using them for his Glory. Enjoy, be encouraged and inspired. Lorraine B :)

Monday, May 21, 2012

How do you serve?



I was quickened in my spirit and had to do a self check when I thought about a phrase that we say A LOT in our churches today when we get "excited" "That's the God that I "serve"." Then it hit me the same time I heard someone say it during our "call to worship" one Sunday at church. Wait a second, do we really know what we are saying? Are we really "serving" the Lord when we go to the temple to worship? In what ways are we serving him? Do we even know what it is to truly be a servant? A servant of the Lord? Or are we just going to church on Sunday to show off how loud we can scream, run around the church, fall out, sing or to show off those new shoes and dresses? Do our daily lives or worship reflect serving at all? As I reflected over my own life, I decided that I had a lot of learning to do when it came to truly serving and it started with the way I serve myself, my authorities, my family loved ones, friends and the Lord. Serving is not an easy task, as a matter of fact it's a very humbling act. We get served all of the time, at restaurants and special functions, in church - the ushers, our pastors etc but in all essence no one has really taught us to serve. However if we search the scriptures we'll see how Jesus served and we can use that as a perfect example.


So I did a little bit of research and decided that I definitely had to sharpen my serving skills but not only that, I had to learn to serve with gladness. No matter what was asked of me, I had to do it with joy. If when asked to do something you think you're too good to do it or it's going to be a chore or a burden, then you might as well do everyone a favor, be honest with yourself and God and not do it at all. David taught us how to serve when he says "Serve the Lord with Gladness, come before his presence with singing." Psalm 100:2 "Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing." So you know what? If you are going to serve the Lord, you better do it with gladness. God says whatever you do in word or deed to it ALL for the glory of God so whatever you do, do it with gladness. If you're going to complain and grumble and find fault when it's for the Kingdom (which is why we do what we do) keep your gifts and talents to yourselves and don't do it or wait until you ask God to show you how to do it with a joyous spirit.


God wants us to be glad to truly serve him because by serving him we learn to serve others. It's a process of humbling our hearts, our wills and affections and truly serve him by doing what he says not just for him but for others. If we're going to obey the word of God (not just the Bible but what he's specifically asked us to do) we have to do it with gladness, not as a burden or as a merit reward doing things expecting things in return. Serving should be a selfless act and yes there are times you might not like it but if you can add some gladness and count it all joy the act will be honored and God will reward you in the end. So as you reflect on your serving abilities and skills, may I suggest you do a self check with all of the activities that you are involved in and ask yourself, how am I really serving? Is it a joy or a burden to serve those around me like my husband,wife, children, family members, friends? What about your bosses? How do you really serve and are you doing it as unto the Lord?

(c) Lorraine Benjamin 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment